Saturday 14 September 2013

Really simple tomato soup

Got a glut of tomatos that you can't use up quick enough? This little recipe should warm you up and stop you palming them off to anyone who'll have them! 

My tomatoes weren't from my garden, they were from my auntie's allotment. She had SO many of the things, she had to palm them off on to me... No biggy, soup's back on the menu at Thursday's Child HQ in light of the freezing weather! I used some plum tomatoes along with a few red ones and lots of orange ones, which I understand are less acidic. I'm sure you could use whatever was going.


Ingredients

A large Tupperware of assorted tomatoes
Two medium onions
6 cloves of garlic
Olive oil for roasting
600ml vegetable stock
Dried basil
Black pepper
2 bay leaves
(Salt to taste if you fancy it)
Milk or cream, if desired.


Method

1. Preheat oven to about 180°C.
2. De stalk and half all your tomatoes and spread them over a roasting dish. Add chopped onions and whole garlic cloves, peeled. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, until they've started to colour and give them a shake half way though.
4. Transfer to a large pan or stock pot, including any liquid that he been released from the tomatoes during roasting.
5. Add stock and bring to the boil.
6. Add a good amount of dried basil and black pepper, two bay leaves and salt if you wish and allow to reduce for about 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and blend with a hand blender. NB This took a lot longer than I had anticipated but was worth it for a smooth consistency.
8. Add a splash of milk or cream if you fancy it.
9. Enjoy!

This was over flowing before I started...

This soup was SO easy to make and so tasty... E and I ate a bowl each at lunch, I've tubbed up three portions and half of it is still in the pan. A cheap, healthy and delicious soup, made better by the fact that those tomatoes were as fresh as they come...

And my product tester says...


DELISH!


Stay warm! 





10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Scrummy! Not sure you can beat humble tomato soup. Thanks for popping by, Kim! X

      Delete
  2. You've got a real cute product tester there for your kitchen! :)

    Thank you for linking your tasty dish to Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is super cute. And lost of the time, she seems to approve!

      Delete
  3. I definitely want to add soups to my fall menu this year. I'm not a big cook and on't try a bunch of different things, but this year, I'd love to try some soups! I'll have to come back!

    Hope you'll link up at Fitness Friday: http://www.100lbcountdown.com/health-and-wellness/i-fell-in-love-with-food-when/ This is definitely a simple and healthy recipe for this fall!

    Stopping by from SSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a soup queen, I'll have to post some more recipes! :)

      Delete
  4. This looks yummy - my kids aren't tomato-ey people *my fault* but even I think this looks fantastic. And what a great little taster u have there ;-) Thanks so much for linking up to the Parenting Pin it Party this week as well :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I hope that this might be a turning point in your relationship with the tomato :)

      Delete
  5. we love home made tomato soup and yours looked lush :-)

    Thanks for linking up with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic! I was wanting to put tomato soup on the menu for this week since the weather has chilled a bit. I love the idea of making a home-made version rather than the canned variety. I'm visiting from the Monday pin-it party and will definitely be pinning this. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...