Tuesday 23 July 2013

The Expectant World

As I drove to work yesterday morning, the news broke that Kate Middleton was in the early stages of labour. I was relieved for her; heavily pregnant and probably overdue in this heat must be absolutely no fun at all. But I also felt awful for her. Did she really want the entire world knowing she was in labour? Everyone discussing her over their breakfast or morning coffee?

I thought back to when I had E. They made the decision to induce me when I was in hospital for the second time in 10 days on my due date with irratic high blood pressure, severe odema and a constant upset stomach. The plan was two sweeps to try and get things going and induction was booked for 40+4 if that hadn't worked. Family and my closest girlfriends knew what was going on. But the rest of our world, our Facebook communities, our colleagues remained blissfully unaware. I was even updating my Facebook status with mundane comments about having to buy birthday presents for the three hundred birthdays that were coming up in April because I just didn't want people to think of me in some slightly undignified position, screaming, pooing, whatever. And people seemed genuinely surprised when we made the announcement around three hours after she was born and they genuinely thought I was still beached like a whale on my sofa. Ah, fickle friends!

I do not envy the pressure the world has put on Kate and William, and their little baby. But my heart was warmed by how humble the family were as they stepped out of the hospital this evening. How normal they were. Overjoyed like every set of new parents, still with wobbly bellies (OK, much better hair and makeup) and excited for the new dad to be driving them home. I'm no Royalist, but I think Family Cambridge have done a huge amount to improve the public image of the Royal Family. Normal, everyday folk who are incredibly likeable.

Now I hope they announce his name and the media back off and leave them to settle into family life. We all remember how we hated the visitors in the early days, and I cannot imagine for one second she wants the entire world sitting in her back garden, waiting.

Congratulations, Kate and Will.

Couldn't resist cracking out a few of our first memories of parenthood.

Daddy and new E

1 comment:

  1. It's funny thinking about that ... being a public image like that and the whole world just waiting.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...